If you haven’t already watched the latest gameplay reveal of the game which set the whole world-wide web ablaze, here it is:
Yeah, I’m talking about Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. So, let’s try and analyze the video to see some of the subtle additions in the latest instalment in the Uncharted franchise:
- First of all, right at the very beginning you can see how gorgeous the game looks. Playing this on a full HDTV must look like a high-end production Hollywood movie! You can also see how Drake’s movements are in conjunction with the general atmosphere of the game – Drake and Sullivan are sneaking and so Drake is crouching.
- At 0:17, you can see how Drake gives Ezio a run for his money with his new air-attack – he jumps onto the enemy, uses his as a padding for his high-jump landing and all the while manages to take him out! Notice how Drake breaks into a sideways jog after getting up after which he proceeds to take cover behind a protruding piece of wood.
- At 0:30, notice how there is puff of smoke every time Drake fires his gun. Also notice how there is visually more amount of blood when the baddies get hit. There’s also a slight increase in the recoil which adds to the realism.
- At 0:43 you can see how Drake looks around for anything that might help him proceed, all this exactly when he utters “Yeah, we can’t go down or across. Hang tight, I’ll check it out”.
- At 1:35 you can see how Drake expertly ( or not so expertly ) knocks away the enemy who approaches him from the front even while he’s physically restrained by another from behind.
- Throughout the whole video, at many places you can see that ammo is automatically picked up – you just have to go near it. This is especially handy when you are in tight gunfight and are out of ammo – you don’t need to run around hitting Triangle every time you find ammo lying on the ground. When it comes to switching weapons, you obviously have to press the Triangle button.
- At 2:17 you can see how the table behind which Drake is taking cover slowly starts to catch fire. This is better seen from 2:25 to 2:30.
Well, that’s it! We can start to see the amount of detail that Naughty Dog has paid attention to in the game. The fire in particular looks incredulously realistic, which adds to the gameplay experience. Also, the animations look tailored to the environment that Drake is in – which adds to the overall realism. All in all, the game looks set to bag another GOTY award, and probably many others!